RE: [squid-users] ufs/aufs/diskd question

From: apiesk <apiesk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:15:43 +0200

congrats. dumping ms proxy down the drain is the right decision :)

to your question:
diskd is faster, according to my benchmarks (done with polygraph).
you may also read http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-22.html

> hardware: dell poweredge 4400
> os: redhat 7.1
> Server is running the "out-of-the-box" enterprise smp kernel.
>
> squid 2.4.STABLE1
> squidGuard 1.1.4

i suggest upgrading to 2.4stable2. stable1 has some serious memory leaks.
see http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.4/ChangeLog.txt.
stable1 crashed 2-3 times a day at my site (50.000 req/h).
stable2 runs nearly perfect. it still leaks memory, but less than stable1.

> Cache is actually up and running in production. Concept
> proven, migration
> begins. That was using diskd. I am seeing many many posts
> here using aufs,
> am I missing out?

you definitely should run some benchmarks to get a performance baseline.
so you will get a feeling for the top performance of your squid and maybe
you find some performance bottlenecks.

ciao -ap

System Administration
VIRBUS AG