RE: [squid-users] How do I get squid to make requests from anothe r proxy server?

From: Whitley GS11 Cecil H <WhitleyCH@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:02:03 -0400

Hello,
Assume your service provider gives you the following info for your browsers:
server ip address: 10.1.2.3
server name: server.name.com
port : 1234
That is what you would enter into your browser settings. Instead
reconfigure squid as follows:

cache_peer 10.1.2.3 parent 1234 0 no-query default
or
cache_peer server.name.com parent 1234 0 no-query default

That handles where requests are forwarded, it does not prevent direct
access. You will wish to do that (at least in part) with the following:

acl kids src a.b.c.d/255.x.y.z
where you replace with the local network number and netmask.
i.e.

acl kids src 192.156.73.0/255.255.255.0
always_direct deny kids
never_direct allow kids

If I haven't mis-interpreted/remembered never_direct that should keep all
requests from members of kids restricted to using the parent cache.

Respectfully,
Cecil