Re: [squid-users] M$ NetMeeting

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:26:36 +0200

At 12:55 PM 8/23/01 +0200, Peter Salvage wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I searched the faq and list archives and can't seem to find a reference to
>this.
>How would I allow users on a 192.168.0/24 network behind a Linux RedHat 7 +
>Squid 2 to use NetMeeting?

It is not a squid issue. They must have routable IPs. You have to enable
firewalls or routers so that they can talk to each other by opening up TCP
and UDP connectivity. I understand the clients use DHCP (not smart in an
environment that requires monitoring and security because it makes it
harder to trace but that is life...) Anyway in that case you have to open
IP-block (site-1) to/from IP-block (site-2). I would not open your clients
to the whole Internet. As other respondents already mentioned, this will
create an immense security hole waiting to be exploited.

Question remains: will your service be good enough but that all depends on
the quality of your ISP(s) and the congestion levels of your circuits.

Marc

>TIA
>/wiZZ

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency, CSD/A

** -- This mail is personal -- **
** All statements in this mail are made from my own **
** personal perspective and do not necessarily reflect **
** my employer's opinions or policies. **