Re: [squid-users] M$ NetMeeting

From: Luc Dumaine <ldumaine@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:00:07 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc van Selm" <marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int>
To: "Peter Salvage" <wizard@sybaweb.co.za>
Cc: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] M$ NetMeeting

> At 12:55 PM 8/23/01 +0200, Peter Salvage wrote:
> >Hi all
> >
> >I searched the faq and list archives and can't seem to find a reference
> >this.
> >How would I allow users on a 192.168.0/24 network behind a Linux RedHat 7
+
> >Squid 2 to use NetMeeting?
>
> It is not a squid issue. They must have routable IPs. You have to enable
> firewalls or routers so that they can talk to each other by opening up TCP
> and UDP connectivity. I understand the clients use DHCP (not smart in an
> environment that requires monitoring and security because it makes it
> harder to trace but that is life...)

most DHCP servers (at least the ISC and the microsoft ones) allow you to
statically distribute IP:

you can configure the software to give:
ip adress "ip1" to the host with the ethernet address "mac1"
ip adress "ip2" to the host with the ethernet address "mac2"
ip adress "ip3" to the host with the ethernet address "mac3"

"ip1" will be systematicely assigned to the host with the ethernet address
"mac1"
"ip2" ....................................................................
"mac2"
etc..

this way some part or every host on your LAN will have static addresses
while being DHCP clients.

works wonderfully.

> Anyway in that case you have to open
> IP-block (site-1) to/from IP-block (site-2). I would not open your clients
> to the whole Internet. As other respondents already mentioned, this will
> create an immense security hole waiting to be exploited.
>
> Question remains: will your service be good enough but that all depends on
> the quality of your ISP(s) and the congestion levels of your circuits.

there is some application-level proxy which supports netmeeting (and a lot
of programs that use H.323 protocol)

http://www.equival.com/phonepatch/

i didn't test it.

it should allow outgoing and incoming calls from/to your PCs, it works like
a PABX.

if you just want to allow outgoing calls, i think you could use NAT.
(unverified)