[squid-users] authenticate_ip_ttl question

From: Peter Kassies <p.kassies@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:32:13 +0200

Hello,

I'm using Squid 2.4 in an experimental situation.
We have one proxyserver with NCSA authentication. My collegue and I are
using the same username/password. I have the following in squid.conf

# TAG: authenticate_ip_ttl
# With this option you control how long a proxy authentication
# will be bound to a specific IP address. If a request using
# the same user name is received during this time then access
# will be denied and both users are required to reauthenticate
# them selves. The idea behind this is to make it annoying
# for people to share their password to their friends, but
# yet allow a dialup user to reconnect on a different dialup
# port.
authenticate_ip_ttl 3600 seconds

Our experience the above isn't quite right. I can log in with the username /
password. If my collegue logs in he cannot access the web. In cache.log we
see the following:
2001/09/05 14:19:12| aclMatchProxyAuth: user 'jan' tries to use multple IP
addresses!

But contrary to the text in squid.conf on authenticate_ip_ttl: "both users",
I am not requested to reauthenticate myself. Hmm, can anyone confirm this?

Peter