[squid-users] Capturing HTTP requests using SQUID

From: Costa, Todd (DMH) <Todd.Costa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:31:42 -0400

Hi again Squid-Users ( and Admins),

I am wondering if it is possible to do this setup. I want to setup a
normal Squid box to capture HTTP traffic only. The problem is I am
trying not to change my config settings on my LAN segment including going to
each workstation to set a proxy in IE. Can I place this L-box between a
Cisco
2600 router (static IP as default gateway) and my end users as a
pass-through
device on the LAN segment before the Cisco router? Basically, I understand I
am making a Linux router but I don't want to change my default gateway which
is already the Cisco router. I just want to use the L-box to be a passive
device that just plays dumb but actually logs traffic passing through its
interfaces.

(see diagram)
Current: [ WAN ] <---> [ CISCO ROUTER ] <--> [ FAST SWITCH ] <-
-> [ LOCAL SEGMENT ]

Wanted: [ WAN ] <---> [ CISCO ROUTER ] <--> eth0 [ SQUID BOX ]->
-> eth1 <--> [ FAST SWITCH ] <--> [ LOCAL SEGMENT ]

  Setting up the Linux/squid box is do-able for me but I am uncertain on
how to set the Linux interfaces to allow traffic to pass in/out of the
NIC's gracefully as if they were just a cable. I have looked for days on
how to do this. Hoping that someone here can help or has tried this.

  Ooops, I forgot. I don't have any admin control over the Cisco Router
to take advantage of its functions( difficult to explain ). That's why I am
looking for another way without getting too involved and making things more
complicated than what I am actually doing.

Todd M. Costa, LAN Manager

My favorite line, "Work smarter not Harder"