[squid-users] Getting NCSA Authentication to work

From: Hauser Marcel <marcel_hauser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:13:33 +0200

Hi All

I hope this is not in any doc/faq/ML i didn't already checked out :)

My Problem:
I have tried getting squid (2.4.STABLE1)working with NCSA several days now !
I've compiled Squid and NCSA correctly... Squid works fine (without
authenticate_program set), and NCSA works (Standalone --> ./ncsa_auth
/usr/bin/squid/etc/passwd --> which gives me the correct answers -> OK or
ERR) too.

Put when i try to start squid incl. ncsa auth:

# ./squid -NCd1 --> The whole thing stops executing at:

helperOpenServers: Starting 1 'ncsa_auth' processes

# ps -A
gives me two running squid processes (but NO Access at all from a Client
!! --> looks like squid is not running)
and NO ncsa_auth process !

My Squid.conf:
authenticate_program /usr/bin/squid/bin/ncsa_auth /usr/bin/squid/etc/passwd
acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow password

The Permissions on ncsa_auth and passwd are currently set to 777

I'am using a RedHat 7.1 System which i'am currently using as a firewall
(Just the basic stuff on it !).
I've compiled squid and ncsa on a different machine (Pentium II) then the
firewall (Pentium 233). But i think this can't be the Problem because both
Squid and ncsa are working fine (Separated) on the firewall system !

Any help and hints would be very appreciated !!

Thanks for any help !!

Cheers Marcel