[squid-users] Squid+Firewall

From: Barry Darnton <BarryD@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:18:05 +1000

I have just got squid running and dont seem to be able to find the solution
in the doco's FAQ or in the digests so I am hoping someone out there in
squid land can help.

I have squid sitting behind a firewall. Squid can go anywhere without
restriction, but I do am using smb_auth to authenticate users going to the
internet. I also have some directly connected (private link remote and
local) web servers that the inside users need to access transparantly. I
have got the directly connected servers working without authentication and
authentication working for internet access but I have one more problem. The
users need to access a site that is outside the firewall without
authentication but I cant seem to get squid to do a parent to the firewall
for these sites, if I put them in the same category as my directly connected
sites it tries to tunnel through the firewall as if it wasn't there, ie it
tries to go direct.

What I want is to still use the parent for site xxx.yyy without
authentication but use the parent for all other internet sites with
authentication. I can do this on my current netscape proxy server (dont
flame it's on it's way out) but I cant figure out how to get squid to do it.

Am I asking to much or is it just a config problem ??

Barry

are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those
of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
Childrens Hospital at Westmead

virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected,
the Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any
consequential damage resulting from email containing computer
viruses.