Re: [squid-users] Squid+Firewall

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Sep 2001 18:48:13 +1000

On Wed, 2001-09-12 at 18:18, Barry Darnton wrote:
> I have just got squid running and dont seem to be able to find the solution
> in the doco's FAQ or in the digests so I am hoping someone out there in
> squid land can help.
>
> I have squid sitting behind a firewall. Squid can go anywhere without
> restriction, but I do am using smb_auth to authenticate users going to the
> internet. I also have some directly connected (private link remote and
> local) web servers that the inside users need to access transparantly. I
> have got the directly connected servers working without authentication and
> authentication working for internet access but I have one more problem. The
> users need to access a site that is outside the firewall without
> authentication but I cant seem to get squid to do a parent to the firewall
> for these sites, if I put them in the same category as my directly connected
> sites it tries to tunnel through the firewall as if it wasn't there, ie it
> tries to go direct.

So when you say squid can go anywhere, what you mean is that squid,
using the firewall as a parent has access to anywhere it wants to go to?

And that there are some servers you want to allow access to without
forcing the users to authenticate?

just add dst or dstdomain acls for those sites, and then reference them
in http_access statements before any proxy_auth acl's are referenced.

Rob