Re: [squid-users] 2M performance

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 17:32:21 -0500

Those are some fast clicking users!

Are you sure that's not 200/minute?

Besides, a 256MB machine with a 'low-endish' CPU should be able to
easily handle 150 clients, even without much tuning. As an aside, there
aren't many Squids on earth that will handle more than 200 reqs/sec. We
just shipped one that is doing ~240 during peak hours, and it requires
truly monster hardware to do it.

You'll probably find that adding more RAM is the best thing you can do
for your clients--request throughput for 150 users will not be very
high, and you won't likely hit any throughput limits in Squid at that
load. But more RAM will lead to lower service times for hits, as more
can come from RAM, which are orders of magnitude faster than disk hits,
which are yet again orders of magnitude faster than misses.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances