Re: [squid-users] POP3 and SMTP

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:27:45 -0500

 From the FAQ

1.1
What is Squid?

Squid is a high-performance proxy caching server for web clients,
supporting FTP, gopher, and HTTP data objects.

Or, as I think Martin was trying to say,

This has nothing to do with Squid. Squid has no relation to POP3 or
SMTP protocols and doesn't talk to any of those kinds of servers or
clients and never will. Squid is not a general-purpose network proxy.

Squid is a caching web proxy (with FTP/Gopher/WAIS -> web gateway
functionality). Nothing else. It doesn't answer mail requests, news
requests, or talk to any other kind of client.

Sounds to me like you need your box to simply route the traffic through,
or act as a MASQing router for your clients if using non-routable IPs.

Consulting with a newbie list devoted to your OS is probably the best
place to be for this sort of query (all of the Linux distributions have
excellent and helpful newbie mailing lists--just visit the web page of
your vendor to figure out how to sign on).

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances