Re: [squid-users] squid cpu usage ..high??

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:21:45 -0500

Ron Vachiyer wrote:

>> 50% is probably about right for a 550MHz machine at 40 recs/sec.
>>
>> How many drives did you say you had? 35 threads is probably a bit much
>> for one drive. Actually, the default is great for all but the fastest
>> drives--so don't alter the default when configuring.
>

> Hello,
>
> I too am seeing similar CPU usages using async-io. I compiled squid
> 2.4STABLE2 with 76 threads. I am using 3 cache dirs on 3 18G 10K SCSI
> discs. What is the recommended per-drive number of threads?

Ummm...What's wrong with the default (as I just said in the quoted message)?

Seriously, Squid 2.4 has quite clever aufs code that sets the number of
spawned threads based on the number of cache_dirs. This is a good thing
and works well--let it do its job. Don't set any number of threads.

(When I was saying for all but the fastest disks, I wasn't thinking
10k--that's average for a big Squid box...15k /might/ justify
configuring additional threads, but probably not.)

So let me reiterate: "Don't alter the default when configuring." Let
this be our mantra with regard to aufs. Repeat as needed, until you
have been convinced. ;-)
                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances