RE: [squid-users] Squid + Firewall + non std ports

From: Barry Darnton <BarryD@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:03:04 +1000

I am a little confused by the term "transparent proxying", I saw in the faq
that this does not work but I am unsure what they mean by the term.
Transparent proxying to me means that no authentication is required. If this
is the case then perhaps I am breaking the rules here by putting in an acl
for the chw.edu.au site. Currently if an internal user goes to chw.edu.au
they do not need to authenticate, if they go anywhere else on the net then
they do. It seems to be working (but the FAQ said that "it appears to
work"). Have I got a mixture going here and it should not be working as per
the faq or is it referring to you cant authenticate one network but make
another network transparent.

Barry