Re: [squid-users] DNS cache-only server question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:47:33 +0200

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly, I apologize. But here's
> what I do on my Linux box:

The issue is with how the name is registered in DNS, combined with how
your client resolver is configured (/etc/resolv.conf).

> I tried adding a qa-three.jobplanet.com. (dot at the end but this
> didn't accomplish anything either -- problem is still there).

Where/how are you adding this?

Does nslookup now return the correct name, or does it still include
yourdomain.com?

> I tried that, making an entry in /etc/hosts and removing the entry in
> the local DNS cache-only server and it didn't work unfortunately
> either.

A cache-only DNS server cannot by defintition contain entries. Not that
it matters. Using /etc/hosts does work for faking hosts. Uses this
technique frequently in testing for various purposes.

> I appreciate your patience, any other suggestions? Should I hook
> dnsserver with a wrapper? Or is there a switch within the IPC (I'm
> assuming SQUID uses IPC's) to have SQUID not worry so much for FQDN?

Squid uses three different host name resolution shemes

a) Older Squids used the systems gethostbyname via dnsserver. However,
to comply with HTTP standards only FQDN's are used from DNS. Depending
on your system configuration this mechanism can be configured to first
look in /etc/hosts where there is no FQDN restrictions (/etc/hosts isn't
structured in hierarchical domains). If you can ping the address, but
not nslookup it the system configuration should be fine for this use.

b) Squid-2.3 defaults to using an internal DNS client only, ignoring
/etc/hosts. Can be reverted to gethostbyname/dnsserver by compiling
Squid with --disable-internal-dns.

c) Squid-2.4 or later still uses the internal DNS client, but also reads
/etc/hosts.

Which Squid version are you using, and how is it compiled?

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker