[squid-users] Is Squid an option for me? <newbie>

From: Yanek Korff <yanek@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:40:00 -0400

General newbie question here. I'm trying to deploy a 2-tier authentication
scheme to provide authentication over SSL before allowing access to other
servers. Like this:

User connects to proxy from outside, via SSL, say to
https://foobar.mydomain.com/in1. Password auth cleartext (or not, whatever)
over SSL.
Proxy confirms authentication OK, continues to pass ALL SUBSEQUENT DATA to
another server based on URL (in this case, in1.mydomain.com). In most
cases, in1 will again immediately ask for basic auth, different auth
database this time, though.

Is this possible with Squid? I have managed to get this set up with apache
to a point... except when the internal server prompts for basic auth, and I
send back auth information, the proxy machine thinks IT is the recipient and
rejects it, or loops if I'm using digest on the proxy and trying to send
basic to the internal server.

-Yanek.