[squid-users] Configuring squid to handle all requests for specific IP addresses without needing to configure clients

From: Arnie Miles <miles@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:07:38 -0400

Hello Group:

I am configuring Squid to handle requests for databases (such as Nexus)
that the College Library subscribes to. The databases will allow users
in if the IP address of the request matches an 'approved' list stored at
the database site, so I am using Squid for this purpose when legitimate
users are trying to access these databases from off campus. We are
using Domain level authentication to check validity of the users against
an NT Domain, and everything is mostly wonderful.

The only down side to this setup is that users must configure their home
browsers to use the local Squid server every time they want to use these
databases, and then un-configure when they are through. I am trying to
find a way to bypass this. I know the list of IP addresses that I am
trying to proxy to, and I have control over the web page that users are
accessing these databases from. Is there any way to write a link from
the library home page that will automatically call the Squid server
without configuring the users' browsers, and then have the Squid server
forward the requests to the proper databases?

I am new to proxying. My e-mail address is miles@hood.edu. Thanks in
advance for your help.

Arnie Miles
Manager, End User Computing