Re: [squid-users] Configuring squid to handle all requests for specific IP addresses without needing to configure clients

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:36:45 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Arnie Miles wrote:

> The only down side to this setup is that users must configure their home
> browsers to use the local Squid server every time they want to use these
> databases, and then un-configure when they are through. I am trying to
> find a way to bypass this. I know the list of IP addresses that I am
> trying to proxy to, and I have control over the web page that users are
> accessing these databases from.

I think you want them to use a suitable proxy-auto-configuration file,
which you should prepare for them on a suitable web server.

The details are really more a browser-configuration issue than
directly a matter for squid. though. But you find some hints in the
squid FAQ, http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-5.html#ss5.2
onwards.

hope this helps