[squid-users] Squid and DNS

From: <Torsten.Lange@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 23:57:47 +0200

>How is everyone seting up DNS on their squid boxes?
>
>A friend of mine asked me to setup a firewall/proxy for his SOHO and this
is
>what I have so far:
>
>Eth0 gets dhcp from ISP
>Eth1 is a dhcp server pushing out 192.168.x.x addresses to clients on the
>home network.
>Pmfirewall is setup with Masquerading.
>
>How are you setting up DNS in order for the clients to ping internet names
>through the gateway?
>
>Thanks in advance...

if your masquerading is working okay, then i suppose your
clients are able to ping ip addresses on the internet
like 206.168.0.9 for 'www.squid-cache.org'.

all you need to do in this case is set up your clients to use
your isp's dns server. port 53 is required to be open then
on your firewall.

another option is setting up bind on your gateway machine
and have it forward all the request to your isp's name server.