Re: [squid-users] can this wok?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:10:52 -0500

Hmmm... Maybe the question should be, instead of "can this work?",
rather "is this the way I should do this?"

I don't see any advantage to what you propose. If Squid1 is using
Squid2 as its parent then there is no reason for Squid1 to be on the
firewall box or even exist for that matter--the reverse should be the
case (Squid2 on the firewall, Squid1 the default gateway of the clients).

However, if you've really thought it through and that is the topology
you /need/ to use (I can't think of any occasion when it would be),
there is nothing stopping you from adding a cache bypass rule to your
ipchains/iptables rules to allow requests from Squid2 to go to the
internet untouched by Squid1.

Perhaps instead you want Squid2 to be a sibling of Squid1? But even
then, the benefit to that is if you have clients on both boxes and you
want to share their caches.

A Parent hierarchy usually looks like this:

Clients -> Squid -> Parent Squid -> Internet

While a Sibling hierarchy might look like this:

Clients -> Squid1 -> Internet
              /\
              \/
Clients -> Squid2 -> Internet

Of course, siblings can also have parents of their own (or a single or
multiple shared parents).

And of course a bunch of other layouts can be imagined from these basic
blocks.

                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances