Re: [squid-users] storeDirClean ERROR!!! ... and others...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 11:54:45 +0200

Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> > > 2001/09/27 16:24:52| idnsCheckQueue: ID 34bd: giving up
> > after 20 tries and
> > > 16.9 seconds
> >
> > Expected.
>
> Do I have to mind about this?

Not really. Search the squid-users archives if you want to know more.
However, the time seems a bit short there, making me suspect you have
some problem with one of the configured DNS servers.

> > > 2001/09/27 16:50:46| ftpReadControlReply: read error: (104)
> > Connection reset
> > > by peer
> >
> > Also expected.
>
> ... and about this one???

Only care about it if you have complaints. It is a sign that a FTP
transfer failed, but it may simply be that the user tried to connect to
something that isn't a valid FTP server...

> > > 2001/09/28 17:23:13| storeDirClean: /var/spool/squid/1C/A7:
> > (13) Permission
> > > denied
> >
> > Not good. Permissions in your cache directory have been screwed up.
> > Needs manual fixup using chown/chmod, and I'd recommend a
> > cache rebuild
> > after fixing the permissions.

> they don't exist, I removed all the content!!!

So in other words there is no way of telling how the permissions got
screwed up now.

> > To fix it up, sssuming cache_effective_user is set to "nobody" (the
> > default) then try the following (if your cache_effective_user is
> > something else, like "squid", then replace nobody with your value):
> >

> My squid.conf says:
> #cache_effective_user squid
> #cache_effective_group squid

If the line starts with a # then it is only a comment, and most likely
the built in default of "nobody" is used, unless your binary is not a
standard one and have the default changed to "squid".

> What do I have to understand??? Is in this case "nobody" the user or
> "squid"???

To be sure, i'd suggest you remove the # from those lines. In such case
it is with no doubt "squid".

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker