Re: [squid-users] Web Searchable Cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:09:40 +0200

Problem is that the cache isn't indexed in a way that makes it
searchable.

There is programs that allows you to search for URL's in the cache, but
these programs have to open each and every file in the cache making them
very slow to operate not really practical for on-line searches.

With the help of a separate indexer that reads store.log it should not
be too hard to build a searchable index in MySQL or some similar
database. Maintaining a separate search index is not bound by the same
space efficiency requirements as Squid's own cache index and can
therefore easibly be made searchable.

I don't think anything like this has been done yet, so if you want it
you have to make it or make someone else make it for you. An reasonably
experienced programmer should not require more than a day to build the
indexer and search interface to the index, assuming you only are
interested in searching on URL's and/or content types and not free-text
searches within the actual content.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker