Re: [squid-users] mime.conf

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 20:23:44 +0200

TANGO Tsutomu wrote:

> RFC1945,2068 said 'If the media type remains unknown,
> the recipient should treat it as type "application/octet-stream".'
> But, default content-type of squid is "text/plain" in mime.conf.
> Why?

Because of popular request to ease browsing of FTP sites.

Note that the HTTP RFC does not really apply here as mime.conf is only
used when gatewaying to FTP/Gopher, not when proxying HTTP requests. FTP
and Gopher does not include any type information and thus needs a
separate type map when being converted into HTTP repliese by the proxy.

> In case of "text/plain", 0A converted to 0D0A. So,I can't
> download image file correctly which not defined in mime.conf
> by ftp. (example: test.tx_)

Not by Squid. The transfer done by Squid is binary but marked with a
content-type of text/plain. It is known that on some platforms this may
cause some browsers to apply linefeed translations when saving the file.
On those platforms the issue can be solved in two ways

a) Click on the "Download" link on the right instead of on the filename

b) Change the default mime type to application/octet-stream in
mime.conf, and deal with the reverse situation where one frequently have
to click on the "View" link on the right to view text files over FTP.

Basically it is up to you to choose which of the two is the "worst".

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker