Re: [squid-users] solaris / cisco / wccp

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:35:12 +0200

B M wrote:

> I would really like to get this to work on solaris, but don't think
> it's going to happen because I can't find a GRE kernel module for
> solaris. (which I believe I need).

Futher, it is a module supporting the WCCP specific flavor of GRE you
need, not a generic GRE module.

My best bet is asking your Sun sales and support contacts stressing the
fact that you need this to be able to continue use your Sun boxes in an
efficient manner.

> I do have ipfilter/squid running on a solaris 7 machine and
> transparency works great using cisco route-maps per the squid
> configuration guide. But if the squid machine goes down, you don't
> have that nice failover functionality wccp gives you.

Theoretically you should be able to have a separate monitoring machine
that automatically disables the router redirection if a problem is found
with the proxy.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker