Re: [squid-users] http_accel question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:18:35 +0200

AJ Lemke wrote:

> Another question for you. We have been looking at the logs and we know the
> the images are being cached but we are not sure if the content is (ie. the
> Text), does it matter to squid that it is caching sites written in Cold
> Fusion, ASP, PHP or some other Dynamic Content creator?

What matters to Squid is how much expiry information is known about the
objects. The types of objects does not matter. In case of dynamically
generated objects these usually carry no expiry information what so
ever, and in some cases even is explicitly marked as uncacheable by the
web server engine.

From what it looks in your logs the pages are cacheable but there is no
information to base a desicion on how long. There is no explicit expiry
time and no last modifification time. On such replies Squid should use
the "min" age of your refresh_pattern setting.

In case of ASP replies are explicitly marked uncacheable by the ASP
engine unless told otherwise by the ASP program. See you ASP
documentation on how to make ASP replies cacheable.

Generally, if you want stuff cached it is best if the origin server
tells that it is indeed cacheable. This is done by the use of Expires
and/or Cache-Control HTTP headers, or at a minimum the "Last-Modified"
HTTP header.

> How Does one make the log files compatible with NCSA Extended format?

For a start there is no such thing as the NCSA Extended format. There
is a myriad of different extended log formats based on the NCSA log
format.

Second, Squid only supports two log formats, it's native format and the
"common log format" emulation. If you want more then add them to the
code. Yes, Squid is seriously in need of a good extensible log format,
but noone has fo war bothered with implementing such a thing.

There is a couple of patches floating around for extending the "common
log format" in Squid with more fields, but I don't think any of these
are actively maintained anywhere.

Regards
Henrik Nordström