Re: [squid-users] ftp QUOTE commands?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:02:27 +0200

A HTTP proxy provides FTP services to HTTP clients for convenience and
protocol extensibility. There is no need for each and every client to
support a new protocol if there is a proxy for it, simply tell the
client to use the proxy by setting the defacto-standard
<protocol>_proxy=http://... variables.

Now in real life HTTP proxying is rarely used for protocols other than
HTTP, FTP or Gopher and "CONNECT tunneling/SSL", but there are clients
and Proxy servers who happily HTTP proxy other protocols such as news,
wais, https (without any SSL support in the client), and a wide varity
of different experimental local protocols.

If you want a full-featured FTP proxy, then install a FTP proxy. There
is plenty of them and almost all FTP clients (not web-browsers) knows
perfectly well how to use a FTP proxy.

I see absolutely no need of mixing FTP into HTTP. The way the proxying
is done is sane, doing what you propose is not. What the proxy could
theoretically do within specs is to present the user with a HTML
interface for accessing proxy-specific methods of accessing FTP features
not mappable to HTTP. How this is done is entirely up to the proxy
implementation. But I don't see it likely to gain any wider support, and
provides quite obvious interoperability issues.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker