[squid-users] HTTPS sites

From: Deb Heller-Evans <deb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:23:10 -0700 (PDT)

Trying to understand another issue - it has been said that squid
shouldn't be interception proxying requests to HTTPS sites, since
they can't be cached, and the client hits the site directly.

My question: are requests on port 443 (HTTPS) not intercepted for
proxying because they might contain "secure" information? In my
configuration, if I don't intercept this, and let them hit the
site directly, then the request bypasses my VirusWall.

My config:

Browser <http request> -> (3128) Squid -> (8080) VirusWall -> Internet

Browser <https request> -> (3128) Squid -> Internet

So, this means that my user can be potentially infected by an https
site. Also, we have https sites on our intranet, and it would be
good for me to know that our own site might be infected, so I could
take action (I don't administer all of them).

Should I be using a redirector?

TIA,

deb