Re: [squid-users] HTTPS sites

From: Deb Heller-Evans <deb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:22:39 -0700 (PDT)

Meanwhile, Henrik Nordstrom says:

| Sure, SSL can technically be "intercepted", but it won't tell you much
| except that the client on IP X wants to talk to an https server on IP Y
| (not even the requested domainname is known). As said the SSL traffic is
| all encrypted so there is no way of telling what is being done over the
| SSL channel other than that there is some kinds of traffic flowing
| between the browser and the server.

Right. Since I cannot check the content, nor cache it, the best
I can do is log the request.

However, I'm leaning toward using the Automatic proxy
configuration (ie, use a proxy.pac) and redirecting and HTTPS
requests to our VirusWall where it will be logged, such that we
have a record of the attempt. That way I can at least
back-track if necessary (forensically speaking).

More to learn...like, how does it translate to a proxy.pac script the
setting in Netscape, where the Manual Proxy Configuration for
"Security:" is set to the virus wall port to which it is listening?

Time to comb the archives again...

Thanks,

deb