[squid-users] cache_peer setup for fail-safe only..

From: J.D. Bronson <lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 19:27:31 -0500

I am trying to setup a cache_peer to be used only if the primary gateway is
down. (or too slow to respond)

The primary path out is a T-1 and the backup is a 128K ISDN.

Squid works fine ( I am using the last stable release)...but if the main
gateway is down, I want to run squid thru another machine that is on a
different gateway, yet the same internal network.

I am running a simple non-cacheing proxy on the second machine on port 3128.
Squid listens on port 8080.

Where:

Machine #1: 'miller'
Squid port port 8080 gateway T-1

Machine #2: 'pabst'
generic proxy port 3128 gateway ISDN

Both proxies work on their own just fine.....

I tried this in squid.conf :
cache_peer pabst parent 3128 0 default no-query ( I dont use ICP )

...well, while squid accepts this arguement...it routes ALL the traffic
over the ISDN line w/o 1st trying the T-1!

Help???

Jeff