Re: [squid-users] My cache is far away from full. But lots of things get released. Why?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 13:02:22 +0200

Brian wrote:

> > what means that these objects are not being cached... but why?
> > Even if the web server says not to cache, shouldn't squid hold the
> > objects and then sens a IMS packet to the server , trying to save
>
> I believe that's exactly what it's doing (check the access log to verify
> it's an TCP_REFRESH_HIT). It's constructing and sending an IMS
> 'sub-request' and ditching the result when it's done (since a 304 response
> holds nothing of value).

Squid basically caches anything that either can be considered fresh for
at least one minute or which can be revalidated.

Squid does not cache
a) Objects which is explicitly marked as uncacheable by the origin
server

b) Objects which is expired (or very soon to expire), and which cannot
be revalidated.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker