Re: [squid-users] relation between http req/sec and no of simulatneous accesses

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:45:52 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, khiz code wrote:

> my cache could go upto abt 70 req/sec
> what i would like to understand is that 70 req/sec corresponds to abt
> how many simultaneous client connections ..i.e how many clients can the
> cache serve at any point of time
>
> Robin stevens had given a figure of 2500 simultaneuos access for
> 150 req/sec so cud i apply simple math logic to arrive at a
> corresponding statistic for 70 req/sec which turns out to be
> roughly 1000 simultaneous accessess ???

You cannot apply "simple math logic" here unless your response times
are the same as what Robin Stevens observed.

I think there is only one formula that ties the number of
active concurrent connections (C) and request rate (R):
        C = R * mean_request_response_time
The above does not account for idle persistent connections, of course.
C has little to do with the number of users. One user can have 1, 3,
4, or any number of connections open, depending on what kind of a
"user" they are.

N.B. Make sure your 70/sec peak is not a benchmark bottleneck (as
opposed to Squid peak).

Alex.