[squid-users] Transparent proxying

From: Pascal DeMilly <list.squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 12:48:08 -0700

Hi All,

I have setup Squid and iptables as specified in the Squid Transparent
Proxying How-to. The proxy and iptable reside on the same box. The
client browser is on a Masqueraded Linux box running Netscape 4.77. I
haven't tried yet with other type of config.

Everything seems to work great except that with some sites I see in my
access.log that I get a TCP_MISS/404. The sites in question are
www.msn.com and www.ximian.com/start. (I am sure there are others)

If I access them without proxying, msn.com displays correctly the
pictures in the front page. With proxy enabled (thru iptables nat
prerouting of http to squid) I get everything else except the picture
and logos.

As for www.ximian.com/start I get a 404 error with the transparent proxy
enabled.

Does anybody knows why it is not working for me ? Does it have to do
with my iptables setup or with my squid setup ?

my iptable rules is as follow

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ! eth0 -p tcp --dport http -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

Then my squid.conf file is as follow:

http_accel_host virtual
http_accel_port 80
http_accel_with_proxy on