Re: [squid-users] Still trying to get NCSA working

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:19:11 +0200

ncsa_auth is not meant to be used against the shadow file, it is meant
to be used against a separate proxy password file created by using the
htpasswd command or a similar tool (note: some versions of htpasswd
requires the -d option to be compatible with ncsa_auth. ncsa_auth
expects passwords in "crypt" format)

Most likely the user Squid is running as does not have the required
privileges to read /etc/shadow. If it could then the security of your
system is seriously compromised.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker