Re: [squid-users] If I use external Authtication , How can I get the client Source IP Addr?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:14:01 +0200

You cant. At least not without patching Squid to send this information.

There is two different approaches:

a) The general view of the Squid developers is that IP based access
controls should be separate from login management. To address the need
of being able to call external helpers for additional access controls
the external_acl extension <http://devel.squid-cache.org/external_acl>
has been developed.

b) There is also an extension to the basic authentication helper
interface that includes the client IP. See the authinfo Squid branch
<http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#authinfo>. Please note
however that with this approach the IP is only checked on the initial
request. Active users may use any IP until their credentials expires
from the Squid auth cache.

There is also an older authentication extension somewhere simlar to "b",
but I cannot find it now.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Hacker