RE: [squid-users] cache digest utilization

From: Kevin Quinlan <kevin.quinlan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:02:03 +0100

Alex

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Kevin Quinlan wrote:
>
> > peer digest structure:
> > proxy3.ctxuk.citrix.com digest: size: 1685126 bytes
> > entries: count: 47199 capacity: 2696201 util: 2%
> > deletion attempts: 0
> > bits: per entry: 5 on: 187428 capacity: 13481008 util: 1%
> > bit-seq: count: 369446 avg.len: 36.49
>
> The utilization figures above reflect digest structure utilization and
> have little to do with your cache performance. Ignore them for now.
> You can reduce digest size to improve utilization figures, but this
> will only save a little bit of bandwidth for digest exchanges and will
> not affect cache performance.
>
> Do you get decent number of hits from peer caches? That's what is
> important.

Well that is why I asked, I assume there is some relation between the
"accuracy" of the digest and how many hits you get on neighbour caches?

I seem to get rather a lot of UDP_MISS requests in my logs.

Unfortunately I did not notice (until you asked) that my log scripts stopped
rolling over correctly when I upgraded to 2.4S2 3 weeks ago - so I don't
have accurate summaries at the moment.

Now that is corrected, I will get some more over the weekend, so I will be
able to answer your question more accurately

Kevin Quinlan