Re: [squid-users] assertion fail problem

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:31:22 +0000

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 03:14:08PM +0100, hno@marasystems.com wrote:
> You should get a stack trace to verify that your problem is the same
> before assuming it is.
>
> For this, the --enable-stacktraces option is more than sufficient. If
> the two calls leading up to xassert (below it in the listing) is the
> same functions then the problem is with 99.9% the exact same problem.
> Furthermore, there is no penalty of --enable-stacktraces until Squid
> crashes.

Thanks - you've answered my two major concerns: (a) that by enabling this
we'd be running a significant overhead (something we can't easily cope with
at present), and (b) that the information produced would not be
sufficiently useful to the development team. I'll rebuild our packages
tomorrow then sit back and wait :-)

Incidentally, does this mean that there's no reason _not_ to build squid
with the --enable-stacktraces option under Linux, "just in case"?

Thanks,
        Robin

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------