RE: [squid-users] Best OS for Squid?

From: <scanner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:50:37 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> In my experience softupdates brings the performance of ufs up from abysmal
> up to close or equal to ext2. ext2 is more brittle than ufs with
> soft updates. but you weren't planning on crashing it were you?
>
> I think that real comparisons of filesystem performance/stability should
> be made between lfs on freebsd and reiserfs/ext3/jfs on linux, given the
> amount of disk and the number of objects that large caches tend to
> handle...

Softupdates will outperform JFS's by a small margin 90% of the
time. Google for greg ganger. Go to his home page and read his paper's
section for a paper on Softupdates VS Journaling. SU has an edge over
JFS. There both trying to accomplish the same thing but I believe SU to be
a better technology.

-Chris Watson (816) 464-7780 | Sr. Unix Administrator
Work: chris.watson@twa.com | Trans World Airlines, Kansas City, MO
Home: scanner@jurai.net | http://www.twa.com
WINDOWS: All our IP belongs to us.
GNU/LINUX: Touch our IP, and your IP belongs to us.
BSD: Here's our IP, just use it.
irc.openprojects.net #FreeBSD -Join the revolution!
ICQ: 20016186