Re: [squid-users] something is corrupting my downloads

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:38:51 +1030 (CST)

According to Robert Collins:

>I've not seen it happen.

I have :-/

>Are the files ftp:// or http:// based?

both.

>Which cache in the hierarchy is doing the http->ftp gatewaying?

Our ISP's (more on this later)

>Is the mime.conf on that server accurate (ie are you getting 8 bit clean
>data) and are the extensions you are downloading listed?

The data is 8-bit clean. I managed to find a site that I could ftp
the file from. That was fine but the one downloaded via squid was
corrupted. Doing a bit of conversion and diffing on the binaries
showed a portion of what looks to be another http session embedded in
the corrupted file about a Meg into the file - not on any "magic"
number boundary though. By a process of elimination I found that by
telling my squid server to go direct to the site using always_direct
the problem went away. I don't know what our ISP is doing but they
seem to have broken at least some file downloads. I have complained
to them and given them details. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I
have fixed some other problem downloads to go direct to the server
from our squid and the files from those servers are fine too so I am
pretty certain our ISP's squid is not well. Unfortunately there is
not much I can do about that :-(