Re: [squid-users] something is corrupting my downloads

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 31 Oct 2001 23:18:32 +1100

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 23:08, Brett Lymn wrote:
> According to Robert Collins:

> The data is 8-bit clean. I managed to find a site that I could ftp
> the file from. That was fine but the one downloaded via squid was
> corrupted. Doing a bit of conversion and diffing on the binaries
> showed a portion of what looks to be another http session embedded in
> the corrupted file about a Meg into the file - not on any "magic"
> number boundary though. By a process of elimination I found that by
> telling my squid server to go direct to the site using always_direct
> the problem went away. I don't know what our ISP is doing but they
> seem to have broken at least some file downloads. I have complained
> to them and given them details. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I
> have fixed some other problem downloads to go direct to the server
> from our squid and the files from those servers are fine too so I am
> pretty certain our ISP's squid is not well. Unfortunately there is
> not much I can do about that :-(

Just be glad (and I'd suggest you actually tell them this) that they are
not running an intercepting cache. I'm told that interception is _very_
common among US ISP's, and a friend of mine (with a 2Mb pipe, non
trivial for Aus :}) has encountered an ISP here with an intercepting
proxy - WHO WON'T EXCLUDE his squid cache from their interception rules.
IMO that is a _very very_ bad thing. Interception is one thing, but
refusing to exclude someone who is having trouble, has a local cache,
and is willing to configure that local cache as a child is completely
different.

So positive feedback about the current state of the ISP in that light
may well be worth much more in the long term.

Rob