Re: [squid-users] file containing regex

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:08:23 +0100

Each refresh pattern (directly, or included, does not matter) uses a small
amount of CPU. The longer Squid has to search your list of refresh patterns
before finding the correct one, the more CPU it uses.

If you have very large lists then consider adding the most common ones early
in the list to save some CPU time. This is true for any regex based list.

A modest sized CPU should be fine with lists up to about a thousand entries.
in most installations. There is no direct cutoff point as the CPU usage only
grows by a small amount for each entry. If you are in a situation that you
need tens of thousands of refresh_pattern lines then something is seriously
wrong and you probably need to reconsider why you need all those refresh
patterns..

If you are worried how far you can push your system then it is very easy to
test. Simply add a huge number of refresh_pattern lines not likely to match
in full and observe how your Squid behaves.

This all ofcourse depends on how much CPU you have to spare for
refresh_pattern processing.

--
MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support