[squid-users] Re: SSL: Unsupported Request Method and protocol

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 02:33:40 +0100

Julie Zhang wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is to use Squid to connect to a secure web server. I
> tested run the "client" testing application came with the source code,
> instead of putting a http web server, I specified that secure web server,
> https://..., then I got the error html with Unsupported protocol. I didn't
> use browser to connect to test it.

The Squid "client" program is NOT an SSL client. It will thus not act
like an SSL client when you request https:// URLs using it, but as a
HTTP client.

> Another question: can I use Squid as an accelerator for a secure web server?
> I read you posted a message that it would be available in the next version,
> how does it work? Can I just send SSL request to Squid and it would cache
> the response from the secure server?

Almost. The upcoming Squid-2.5 release is capable of acting as a SSL
server. See the Squid-2.5 snapshot.

> Thanks for your help and have a nice sleep :-).

I wish.. looks like there will be about 4 hours of sleep this night, and
the rest of the week haven't been much better. not good.