Re: [squid-users] mlockall or plock: Any advantage?

From: Jim Richey <jrichey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:36:08 -0500

Actually, I don't have a problem, I was just pondering the idea. I know
that Solaris versions prior to 2.6 had a vm model where once memory was
used up it wasn't too selective about what got paged out. In 2.6 and 7
they added a parameter you could set in /etc/system that would try to
keep application memory from getting paged out. Of course Solaris 8 has
an all new vm model that also prefers to keep application memory. I
believe that Linux has always worked this way. I suppose mlockall might
be useful if for some reason you happen to have other applications
running on the same box as squid and you don't mind having the other
apps get paged out, but want to keep squid in memory.

--
Jim Richey
jrichey@highmark.com