Re: [squid-users] Multipart/form-data and Squid

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 23:34:43 -0600

Joakim Waltersson wrote:

> Hi
> I work as a developer on a webb application project. One of our customers is
> having trouble using our application through a Squid proxy. I searched the
> FAQ and mail-list archives without finding an answer.
>
> I am guessing Squid don't like the multipart/form-data request, since there
> is only one place in the application that uses multipart/form-data and
> that's the only place our customer is having trouble.
>
> Our web server is running Apache 1.3.20/Tomcat 3.2.2. The error message
> looks as follows:
>
> ERROR
> The requested URL could not be retrieved
>
> . . .

> Pragma: no-cache
> Cookie: JSESSIONID=k37kbbqux1
>
> The following error was encountered:
> * Invalid Request
> Some aspect of the HTTP Request is invalid. Possible problems:
> * Missing or unknown request method
> * Missing URL
> * Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0)
> * Request is too large
> * Content-Length missing for POST or PUT request
> * Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed
> Your cache administrator is webmaster
>
> -----

There are several problems with sending that request through Squid.
Pragma no-cache, cookies, but most fundamentally trying to use
the old netscape server push. Squid doesn't do PUT. Yet. We are
trying to fix that.

In the meantime, you need to find some other way of doing your push.

We have some software that might help with the push part of the problem,
let me know if you want to know more.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025