RE: [squid-users] Multipart/form-data and Squid

From: Joakim Waltersson <joakim.waltersson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:49:36 +0100

> Joakim Waltersson wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I work as a developer on a webb application project. One of our
> customers is
> > having trouble using our application through a Squid proxy. I
> searched the
> > FAQ and mail-list archives without finding an answer.
> >
> > I am guessing Squid don't like the multipart/form-data request,
> since there
> > is only one place in the application that uses multipart/form-data and
> > that's the only place our customer is having trouble.
> >
> > Our web server is running Apache 1.3.20/Tomcat 3.2.2. The error message
> > looks as follows:
> >
> > ERROR
> > The requested URL could not be retrieved
> >
> > . . .

> > Pragma: no-cache
> > Cookie: JSESSIONID=k37kbbqux1
> >
> > The following error was encountered:
> > * Invalid Request
> > Some aspect of the HTTP Request is invalid. Possible problems:
> > * Missing or unknown request method
> > * Missing URL
> > * Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0)
> > * Request is too large
> > * Content-Length missing for POST or PUT request
> > * Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed
> > Your cache administrator is webmaster
> >
> > -----
>
> There are several problems with sending that request through Squid.
> Pragma no-cache, cookies, but most fundamentally trying to use
> the old netscape server push. Squid doesn't do PUT. Yet. We are
> trying to fix that.
>
> In the meantime, you need to find some other way of doing your push.
>
> We have some software that might help with the push part of the problem,
> let me know if you want to know more.
> --
> Jon Kay pushcache.com jkay@pushcache.com
> http://www.pushcache.com/ (512) 420-9025
> Squid consulting 'push done right.'

Netscape server push? I don't think we are using that. At least not
intentionally. The above error was the result of trying to post a <FORM>
with ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" from IE5.5 through Squid to an Apache web
server.
Does this mean that uploading files to a webserver is impossible with Squid?

/Joakim W