[squid-users] Transparant Caching with iptables

From: SysAdmin <squidref@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:02:59 -0800

Hi

I am looking for transparent caching with iptables.

I setup a squid box with Mandrake 8.0 with Kernel 2.4.3

I used the following command to redirect the port 80 requests to 3128 but seams not working

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

I checked with my router... it is redirecting the packets to the squid box (wccp configured). Nothing turning up in access.log

Can any body helpme out?

iptables -t nat -L gave me the following out put

[root@root /root]# iptables -t nat -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
REDIRECT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:http redir ports 3128

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
[root@root /root]#

I could not get where exactly I went wrong? I followed the folloing url to setup the transperant proxy/caching.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/TransparentProxy.html

Bhaskar