Re: [squid-users] Squid Filtering

From: Daniel Barron <squidusers@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:29:42 GMT

In message <20011212160302.C1995@aviion.alfred.cx>
          Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 04:33:52PM +1100, Nevin Swan wrote:
>
> > I am looking for an content filtering program for Squid to filter
> > porn etc...
>
> Whilst content filtering is a rather pointless exercise, squidGuard is
> rather good. It's solved a lot of problems for us.

That's a very odd statement. It should infact be the other way round.
URL filtering is pointless and content filtering is usefull. Content
filtering will adapt to changing web were as a URL database is always old
and incomplete. Could you please explain what you mean.

Actually, I think that having /both/ is the best plan.

I would reccomend DansGuardian for content filtering. It also has URL
filtering which has been measured at about 30 times the speed of squidGuard.
DansGuardian is also the fastest content filter that I know of.

Check out:
http://dansguardian.org/?page=introduction

Although I have a vested interest, I believe I am not biased.

--
Daniel Barron