Re: [squid-users] fourth cache off??

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 02:09:51 -0600

The Kotetu guys were at the last cacheoff as well...they just didn't get
a successful run in. I've exchanged a few emails with one of the
developers, and looked over the past few development snapshots with
interest. It isn't suitable for most users yet, but it is a pretty
nifty piece of programming. It has the neat feature of being able to
parse HTML and prefetch content before the end client does, which would
be very useful in a satellite bandwidth environment where bandwidth is
cheap but latency is too high for comfort. But it definitely isn't
ready for production use for my clients (and it isn't really any faster
than Squid--it ran at 200 reqs/sec from 6 SCSI disks, where Squid can do
the same from similar hardware with maybe a little extra CPU required).

Anyway, I think the Kotetu team are doing very cool things and I expect
it to be very useful for a certain niche in the market. If its feature
set grows to include many of the things that have been in Squid for
years (like authentication, complex ACLs, redirectors, and tons more)
I'll consider using it for certain situations where it can answer a need
better than Squid.

But why take my word for it? Go check it out! It's neat stuff to play
with even if you don't use it for production servers.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com