Re: [squid-users] large squid setups

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:08:18 +0100

Quite many people use what is called "transparent caching" (better described
as transparently intercepting caching) to get the clients onto the cache.

Personally I prefer blocking access to port 80, returning instructions on how
to configure the proxy settings on any attemt to access port 80. Browsers
should be configured to use a proxy if they are using a proxy.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
MARA Systems AB, Sweden

On Thursday 20 December 2001 12.15, Dcad wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am using squid for less than 10 machines. My linux box is running squid
> and I tell all the other clients to give proxy as 192.168.0.1 in their IE
> and Netscape etc. But just as a curiosity, if I were to manage a big domain
> with hundreds of computers or maybe an ISP how are these things done? It is
> not possible to tell all the users to set the settings in their browsers?
> Any one has implemented this idea?
> One more thing, if I have to implement squid in a cybercafe which has about
> 10-15 machines and the owner is charged for each MB of download, how much
> bandwidth can be saved using squid?
> Thanks and bye.
> -Shant-z

available on request