Re: [squid-users] simple question about how far and fast squid fetch the object

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:05:51 -0600

Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> I looked at many pages for hours now including the mailing list archives
> but can't find a clear answer to the question in my mind.
>
> some information about the question:
> the clients have 64kbit physical bandwidth(ISDN line)
> and the server has 1mbit connection.
>
> actual question:
> when a client requests a file, does the squid request the file using the
> whole bandwidth and finish the fetching as fast as possible
> or
> it fetches the file as fast as the client can accept? In other words, as
> fast as the data sent to the client is acknowledged.

Squid pulls it in as fast as it can into its own buffers, which are
wohompingly
huge. There used to be a limit to how far ahead it was willing to get, but
I'm pretty sure that's gone.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025