Re: [squid-users] Q: Can Squid act as a protocol forwarder as well as proxy?

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:27:17 -0600

Yossie Silverman wrote:

> My need:
>
> I have a Starband satellite two-way Internet connection (www.starband.com).
>
> The plus is that it works out in the hills, where my cabin is, where
> phone and cable don't exist. The minus is that because of the round
> trip to the satellite (multiple times I suppose) the latency
> according to traceroute tends to be nearly a second. Not only, but
> since it transmits in bursts, the delays add up rather quickly.
>
> So, the Starband company (my ISP) does have an software agent
> (AS_AGENT) which accelerates both web and other access to the net to
> nearly DSL response (they claim 512K download, 128K upload!). The
> bummer is that it only exists for Windows - I run on a Macintosh
> (running Mac OS X - which is basically UNIX inside). The connection
> works, but it is slow.
>
> Starband recommends that if there is a need to use a Mac (or any
> other non-Windows) machine, that a Windows machine be set up as a
> "router/proxy" for the other machine(s). I suppose I could do that,
> but it would require running TWO machines on an, already, loaded
> power system (oh,did I mention, I am off the power grid too).
>
> My question is:
>
> Can Squid be configured to send out, on a continuously open
> connection (ideally), the URL being requested to ANOTHER Squid (on
> the other side) which then packages together ALL the bits and pieces
> that make up the page (to it's best ability) and sends them back as
> one large streaming packet which is used to satisfy the request.

Not sure if I exactly understand what you're looking for here.
The push branch has 'fwdpush' functionality that can be used
to blanket-prepush things across a satellite link. But that's
on a URL by URL basis.

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025