Re: [squid-users] Do I need to modify squid.conf parameters?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:38:58 -0600

plendon@microelectronics.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've had incidents with squid and have been troubleshooting
> the problem for some time, maybe you can help.
>
> Background info: There are 18 remote proxies running on
> RedHat Linux with 2.2.14-5 kernel. Each of the 18 proxies
> go to one parent proxy on HP-UX 11.0. All squid versions
> are 2.4.STABLE4. All squids were compiled with --enable-
> kill-parent-hack.
>
> Problem Description: Each night a main process is started
> that remsh's to the 18 linux boxes and shuts down the
> proxies. The proxies are shutdown so as not to interfere
> with network traffic and the nightly processes. The
> proxies are shutdown with /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid stop
> (enclosed is startup/shutdown script). The shutdowns are
> always successful.
> When squid is shutdown it will return a "Y" for successful
> or a "N" for non-successful shutdown. For the majority
> of times, a "Y" is returned. A "N" has never returned.
> However, sometimes nothing is returned (no "Y" and no "N")
> and then I am notified that there might be a problem with a
> proxy shutting down. I then log into the linux system and
> see that squid has successfully shutdown.
>
> What is happening? Squid has shutdown, but has not
> returned a "Y". Enclosed is the shutdown script.
> Somewhere in the script is a 30 second wait to ensure squid
> has shutdown.
>
> Could the squid shutdown be affected by a client
> downloading or ftp'ing a large file when squid is being
> shutdown?
>
> Do I need to adjust squid's configuration parameters?
> I'm not sure what parameters I need to adjust to help
> troubleshoot problem further.

Sounds like the script is returning before it has a success/fail value
(I hit this when I was writing dual Squid process handlers). Increase
the 30 second timeout to 90 seconds, or so--note that this will /not/
increase the time that the script takes to shutdown Squid, it merely
tells the script how long to wait for a success/fail status from Squid.
  If this timeout runs out, you won't get a result and the script simply
exits.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com